Through Pacific Women, the Australian Government will spend approximately 30 per cent of the $320 million committed for Pacific Women on regional and multi-country activities. The first three-year plan includes thirteen activities valued at approximately $10 million and will be implemented from 2013–2016.
Regional and multi-country activities will address the common issues facing the 14 Pacific Island Countries involved in Pacific Women, and will complement and build upon country level activities to achieve greater impact in addressing gender inequality.
Activities funded in the first Regional Plan will:
- Increase women’s economic opportunities through private sector development initiatives
- Review programs that represent different approaches to addressing violence against women
- Improve the quality of governance through increased women’s political participation
- Strengthen the capacity of Pacific women parliamentarians
- Improve the status and safety of women in work places to empower them economically
- Support and facilitate the exchange of information on gender inequality in the region.
Read in full here.
OTHER INFORMATION ABOUT THIS RESOURCE:
- Date Published: April 30, 2014