The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT), leads the Australian Government’s effort to promote sustainable economic growth and poverty reduction in the Indo-Pacific region. DFAT’s Education and Leadership Portfolio at the Australian High Commission (AHC) in Port Moresby contributes to three strategic priorities:
i) improved literacy and numeracy in the early grades of school;
ii) skills development; and
iii) the development of leadership skills and networks that advance development in PNG.
Gender equity and women’s empowerment are key priorities for DFAT across all three areas. The Education Capacity Development Facility (ECDF) is implemented by Palladium International and provides high-quality technical assistance and program support in line with the first two parts of the Portfolio.
ECDF is seeking a Gender Equity Specialist to be based in Port Moresby. Classified as a Long-Term Adviser (ARF B3), the Gender Equity Specialist will provide technical advice and analysis to the AHC Education and Leadership team, as well as improve gender inclusion across ECDF managed activities.
The Gender Equity Specialist will undertake two urgent priority tasks and a range of additional responsibilities and outputs.
- Undertake a Gender equity situational analysis to establish how equitable educational services are in the PNG basic education system. Findings from the analysis will facilitate improved implementation of gender equity outcomes and inform the design of specific activities to be undertaken by the Education and Leadership Program.
- Undertake a rapid review of individual advisers’ work to identify and agree a practical set of tasks and strategies each adviser can undertake before the end of the year to strengthen gender equity outcomes in their work. The tasks and strategies for each adviser will be agreed and incorporated into advisers’ work plans with baseline information for monitoring and reporting progress each quarter. The adviser will also contribute to monitoring implementation and outcomes.
- Additional responsibilities to assist the ECDF team to incorporate principals of gender equity. This includes working closely with the M&E Specialist, Communications team, Advisers, Grantees and Sub-contractors where required.
If you are interested in this role please download a full copy of the terms of reference here.
To apply please forward a comprehensive resume together with a cover letter addressing the terms of reference including:
- Demonstrated experience in applying a gender equity lens e.g. review of policy, research design, project design, implementation and reporting, ideally within a donor-funded program environment;
- Demonstrated advanced understanding of DFAT gender standards and requirements;
- Familiarity with working with a bilateral donor; and
- Proven and effective writing, editing and reporting skills including experience with document synthesis and analysis.
Applications close 28 October 2018.