The Australian Government, through Pacific Women, provides support for Niue through regional and multi-country activities over 10 years (2012–2022).
There are two key documents providing information about the gender equality work in Niue:
- Country Activities Summary: an overview of all the activities and partners for Country.
- Country Brief: a snapshot of project highlights.
(cumulative to June 2019 unless otherwise stated)
Community awareness and outreach
- One parliamentary clerk trained to deliver a gender equality program by the Pacific Women’s Parliamentary Partnerships Project (PWPP).
Crisis support and prevention services
- Two drafts of a Family Law Bill supported by the Pacific Community’s (SPC) Regional Rights Resource Team (RRRT).
Leadership and Decision Making
- Women MPs from Niue were able to create networks of support with other women parliamentarians from Pacific Island countries, Australia and New Zealand by participating in the Pacific Women’s Parliamentary Partnerships Project (PWPP) Annual Forums and the Second Commonwealth Women Parliamentarians Australian Regional Conference.
- Niue’s Parliamentary Clerk received training from PWPP in how to deliver the ‘Outrigger’ program on navigating gender equality through Pacific parliaments. This is equipping the clerk to promote a message of respect and the need to uphold gender equality in Niue’s parliament.
Ending Violence against Women
- Support from RRRT is helping to progress family protection legislation in Niue. RRRT has facilitated consultations and provided technical assistance in drafting the Niue Family Law Bill to ensure it is contextually relevant to Niue. Two drafts of the Bill have now been submitted to the government, with explanatory notes from RRRT aiding productive and participatory discussions about its content.
- Civil registrars from Niue are benefitting from a sub-regional training session about child protection facilitated by UNICEF in 2018. Participants were introduced to the new UN guidelines for civil registration and vital statistics and were supported to improve analysis of administrative data and develop tools and standards.
Pacific Women partners in Country
Australian Department of the House of Representatives; the Pacific Community: Progressing Gender Equality in the Pacific (PGEP) and the Regional Rights Resource Team (RRRT); UNICEF; and Pacific Women’s regional partners.
Stories of Change
The Honourable Maureen Melekitama attended the second Commonwealth Women Parliamentarians Australian Regional Conference hosted by the Victorian Parliament in Melbourne, Australia in August 2017.READ MORE
Pacific clerks and senior parliamentary staff attended the Outrigger Facilitators’ workshop in Canberra, Australia in November 2016. The Outrigger training program on navigating gender equality through Pacific parliaments, invokes the imagery of a boat that is well equipped to sail the seas of Oceania. Ms Ngatu Tukutama, the Executive Officer from the Niue Parliament, was aboard.READ MORE
The Hon Va’aiga Tukuitonga has been a Member of Parliament in Niue for 17 years and attended her third PWPP project annual forum in Apia in 2016.READ MORE